Friday, January 30, 2009

Install Vietnamese input method with OpenSolaris

Install SCIM from Package Manager (select all - recommend)

Download

http://www.esnips.com/doc/c05f6a11-563e-4906-9c1a-2ed124cb4aae/scim-tables-vietnamese-ext-0.5.6-16-bin.tar

Extract it, then copy 2 file vi.bin and telex.bin into /usr/share/scim/tables

Then reload scim, choose IMEngine/Global Setup/Disable All, then expand Vietnamese, tick VNI or Telex, expand Others, tick English

Then Apply, OK

Open terminal, type:
#gedit .profile

Add the line: export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim

Save file, then log out

Log on again. You can see system tray icon of SCIM

Open inputable application, left click icon SCIM, choose VNI or TELEX

That's ok

Good luck!

7 comments:

LE Duy Khanh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

After having copy those 2 files. I configured SCIM. In "Global Set" tab, I chose both Vni and Telex and their shortcut but nothing worked.

What is the problem? Did you actually type VNese in OpenSolaris?

Dung Luong said...

Yes, i have used SCIM to type Vienamese with vni method.

you can add more config about SCIM to replace default input method configuration on OpenSolaris.

Please try:

#nano /etc/environment

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

Dung Luong said...

another comment:
I have tried use OpenSolaris, but I have stopped now because it consume more RAM.
My laptop use 4Gb RAM, but when load serveral app such as: Netbeans, Glassfish and copy some large file (~1GB), memory has full. When I close those apps, memory not have released yet. So, I'm very disapoited about that. finnaly, I choose Ubuntu as alternative solutions for programming and server deployment.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your help but I don't really understand your instruction

1) What is nano?

2) There is no /etc/environment

3) Where can I put these lines in?


export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

4) How can I replace default config with SCIM config by using above commands?

Thank you ^^

Dung Luong said...

I have updated my post about using SCIM to type Vietnamese on OpenSolaris 2008.11

Please check again!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I was able to do it^^